Music for All staff were lucky enough to get the chance to exhibit at the Penrod Art Fair in Indianapolis this past weekend.
Penrod is an art fair who’s mission focuses on the cultivation, encouragement and development of public interest in and support of those arts, cultural and educational institutions located in and around Marion County, Indiana, its surrounding counties and the Central Indiana area in general.
We at Music for All love to see our community engaging and supporting public interest in the arts, so naturally this was a perfect fit for us! We joined over three hundred artists, six stages of entertainment and more than 50 arts-related non-profit organizations for what’s known as “Indiana’s Nicest Day.”
And what a gorgeous day it was!
Not only was the weather pretty much perfect, but everyone who stopped by to talk to us during the fair was incredible and had wonderful stories to share about their love of music.
For this particular exhibit our Development department wanted to do something extra special. They decided to create a fun and engaging activity that goes along with our “I Believe” campaign (if you are not familiar with the campaign, you should check it out here).
They created a tri-fold poster board with the heading “Tell us why you believe” and three panels that said: in music, in music in our schools, in Music for All.
The responses to the prompt were incredible. As someone who walked up to the booth toward the end of the day, I can tell you that the board had an incredible impact filled with the post-it note responses!
Here are some of the things that people wrote on the post-its.
In music in our schools:
- Because music helps us learn to express ourselves
- Because it installs creativity in students
- Because it improves test scores!
- Music in our schools is a safe haven for students to express themselves. It’s crucial that all students have access to ALL music
- Music makes kids smarter
- It teaches students to work together toward a common goal
- Music makes you smarter
- Music moves you mind, body & soul
- Music is always there for you
- Music speaks across the universe
- Because it is the window to the soul
- Music takes you away (amen added by another!)
- Expression and inspiration
- It’s my livelihood
- Kids need exposure and education beyond the core subjects
- It transformed my life
- Because it heals the soul
- It changes lives
- It is essentially inexplicable
- When words fail, music speaks
- Music goes beyond facts and logic to the sublime!
- So much expression- so much hope!
- Music connects to everyone
- Because music is my life
In Music for All
- Every kid should be able to have good things about them and that means trying new things.
- To find it!
- Because music opens door of your soul to soar
- Because helps the soul
- Sounds are good
- Because music is truly the universal language
- Because music is for everyone
- Music is reflection of the soul
- Because it changes lives
- Music is an art that you listen to and connect to
- Music education develops the WHOLE person
- Because music gives people a place to belong
Penrod was on Saturday and I can tell you that I haven’t stopped thinking about these responses. I find it reassuring that there are so many people out there (and in my community!) that feel the same way about music as I do. I know that there are people across the country that feel this way as well.
Reading all of the responses encouraged me to come up with my own responses for why “I believe.”
So why do I believe?
- I believe in music because music enriches my life and the lives of others.
- I believe in music education because EVERY child deserves to be touched by music.
- And I believe in Music for All because I believe in the power of music and the power of the positively life-changing experiences that Music for All brings to students across our country.
So today as you take a break from work, from school, from rehearsal, your busy life in general, read through the repsonses again on why people at the Penrod Art Fair in Indianapolis, Indiana believe.
And then? Tell me why you believe.
Music for All