This is the thirty-fifth installment of a new chapter in our Student Features series on the blog that we will be posting leading up to the 2017 Music for All National Festival, presented by Yamaha. Music for All will be featuring three honor ensembles (Honor Band of America, Honor Orchestra of America, and the Jazz Band of America) at the Music for All National Festival, March 9th through March 11th. We look forward to getting to know all of these wonderful students who have been accepted into these prestigious ensembles!
Name: Nicole Allen
Hometown: Olathe, KS
School Name: Olathe North H.S.
Which Ensemble Are You In?
Honor Orchestra of America
What are three things you’ve learned from being involved in band or orchestra?
1. Being able to play in a group setting is just as important as being a soloist.
2. It’s important to always play your part to the best of your ability- even (and especially) if you are seated near the back.
3. The bond created with those you share music with is one of the strongest there is.
Most memorable moment in band or orchestra?
1. Every Thursday morning, I rehearse with my trio (comprised of two other HOOA members Shulammite Lim and Jack Viehweg) and I really cherish this time because sharing music with them always starts the day off right.
2. One of my favorite memories in Orchestra was the first day after our seating auditions my sophomore year when I was moved up to the first violin section and I had an immense sense of pride in having earned the chair in which I was sitting. I remember the first thing I played as a 1st violinist; it was an excerpt from the Little Mermaid and it was magical.
3. I also really loved playing the Bach Double with my friend and fellow HOOA member Shulammite Lim inside the Kennedy library in celebration of Kennedy’s 99th birthday. It was definitely a dream come true for me and something I’ll never forgot.
Besides band/orchestra, what are you involved in at school?
Distinguished Scholars Political Science and National Honor Society
What’s your favorite song or piece of music?
I’ll always have a special place in my heart for the Bach Double Violin Concerto because it was the first piece of music that I ever listened to obsessively and I still know it by heart to this day.
Favorite ice cream flavor?
What’s your favorite non-music related hobby or past time?
I’ve been really into American history since I was 7 or 8 and I even memorized every president one summer before 2nd grade! I have also watched every episode of The Office at least 12 or 13 times.
What’s your current plan for what you want to do after graduating high school?
I plan on attending the University of Iowa to major in Violin Performance and History.
Tell us something interesting/unique about you:
1. I’ve played the violin for almost 15 years.
2. The soundtrack to Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat melts my heart.
3. Spoons are my favorite utensil because they’re like tiny bowls you put in your mouth.
4. I’m named after Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue.
5. I don’t like the way candy canes taste and I don’t really understand all the hype.