We’re very excited to host Lalo Davila and Friends this year at the Music for All Summer Symposium! Lalo is a world-renown latin percussionist and educator who was been named in the top five for Nashville’s Percussionist of the Year Award. Here are a few of our favorite fun facts about Lalo and Friends:
10. Lalo Davila is currently Director of Percussion Studies at Middle Tennessee State University and previously studied/taught at the University of North Texas.
9. Lalo and several members of his band have performed and recorded with Grammy-winning saxophonist and songwriter Kirk Whalum.
8. He has served as an instructor for the Phantom Regiment, Sky Ryders, Blue Colts and the Star of Indiana Drum and Bugle Corps.
7. Lalo is an active composer of solos, exercises and ensemble pieces for percussionists. His works are published by Row-Loff Productions.
6. Lalo has performed as a guest artist with the Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra, the Nashville Symphony, the Nashville Jazz Orchestra, the Nashville Chamber Orchestra, the Nashville Chamber Chorus, the Nashville Ballet, Allen Vizzutti, Arturo Sandoval, and Shari Lewis.
5. He is a prominent clinician and artist for Music for All corporate sponsor Zildjian.
4. Lalo will be performing with 9 other musicians based in Nashville who have performed extensively on albums, television and live performances including Jimmy Buffet, Toby Keith, Lady Antebelum, B.B. King, Natalie Cole, Aaron Neville, Queen Latifah, Randy Brecker, Aretha Franklin, the Grand Ole Opry, Austin City Limits and The Tonight Show.
3. Lalo has performed on “So You Think You Can Dance” and the soundtrack of PlayStation game “Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.”
2. Lalo’s voice can be heard in the 2012 film “People Like Us,” Disney’s Dual Language Series “Aladdin” as Jafar and America’s Funniest 2010 Commercials.
1. In addition to performing for over 1,000 students, directors and fans on Thursday evening, Lalo is a member of the Symposium faculty and will be working directly with camp participants.
If you are a student or director enrolled in camp we will be seeing you for Lalo Davila and Friends on Thursday evening! If you aren’t enrolled in camp this year, don’t worry; this concert is open to the public! Tickets are $15 for Adults (reserved balcony seating) and $5 for Students/Seniors. Children 10 and under are free. Click here for more information on tickets and how to order!
Seth Williams is currently Development Coordinator at Music for All. Seth is no stranger to Music for All and Bands of America – first as a participant and as an intern in Development and Participant Relations. He is a graduate of Butler University and previously worked in the Broadway theatre industry in New York. A proud alumnus of “The Centerville Jazz Band,” Seth is likely the biggest band nerd he knows.