Allen Whitehill Clowes Charitable Foundation, Inc., a private foundation, was established by Allen W. Clowes, a leading philanthropist in Indianapolis, Indiana, who during his life made major contributions to various charitable organizations that promoted or preserved the fine arts, music, literature, education, science and history. Most of these organizations are located in Central Indiana.
MFA is supported by the Arts Council and the City of Indianapolis. The Arts Council is an organization that advocates for the need and importance of broad community funding and support for a thriving arts scene; innovates by constantly pursuing and promoting innovative ideas and programs that better serve the area, its artists, and arts organizations; and connects artists, audiences, businesses, foundations, and arts and cultural organizations with opportunities to explore and expand central Indiana’s creative vitality.
The Arts Council owns and operates two performance and exhibition spaces, the Indianapolis Artsgarden (attached to Circle Centre Mall) and Gallery 924 (at 924 N. Pennsylvania Street). Its online initiative called the Indy Arts Guide provides a comprehensive arts calendar featuring thousands of events, performances, and exhibitions throughout central Indiana.
Arthur Jordan was an Indianapolis businessman in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His first venture was a butter, poultry and egg business that grew to more than fifty packing and cold storage plants in Indiana and Illinois. After selling the business in 1903, his ventures also included life insurance, manufacturing and retailing. Arthur Jordan was also a philanthropist and founded the Arthur Jordan Foundation on December 24, 1928. Mr. Jordan served as chairman until his death in 1934. The foundation operates with a board of seven trustees selected from the Indianapolis community.
Ball Brothers Foundation is a family philanthropy, regional in approach, with a grant-making emphasis on East Central Indiana. Broadly, the Foundation provides support in the areas of arts, culture, humanities; education; environment; health; human services; and public society benefit.
The George and Frances Ball Foundation was founded in 1937 as a private foundation with initial funding from George and Frances Ball. The Foundation was “organized exclusively to promote charitable, scientific and educational purposes.” The Foundation has a strong commitment to the needs of east central Indiana. Support beyond east central Indiana regions has been largely limited to institutions of higher education. Grants to education institutions, in fact, comprise a large part of all Foundation contributions over the years.
Activities are made possible in part by the Indiana Arts Commission, a state agency, and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
The IAC consists of 15 gubernatorial appointments who establish the agency’s policies and goals, plan its direction for the future, and approve all grant awards and programs. The commissioners serve up to eight years, without compensation. They are selected to represent various areas of the state and diverse arts, business and community backgrounds.
Lilly Endowment Inc. is a private philanthropic foundation based in Indianapolis. The Endowment was created in 1937 by three members of the Lilly family – J.K. Lilly, Sr. and sons Eli and J.K. Jr. – through gifts of stock in their pharmaceutical business, Eli Lilly and Company. Although the gifts of stock remain a financial bedrock of the Endowment, it is a separate entity from the company, with a distinct governing board, staff and location.
In keeping with their founders’ wishes, they support the causes of religion, education and community development. They afford special emphasis to projects that benefit young people and that strengthen financial self-sufficiency in the charitable sector.
Nicholas and Marguerite Noyes established The Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr., Memorial Foundation in 1951 to honor their son, Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr. The mission of the Noyes Foundation is to uphold the founders’ charitable traditions and to continue their commitment to improving the quality of life in the greater Indianapolis area.